Saturday, January 14, 2012

Chapter 6

Chapter 6 discussed designing different types of units. The Integrated Thematic Unit most interested me because this is something that we have a staff have been trying to do for years. The problem in the past has been teacher willingness to share ideas, respect others and collaborate. The other issue is not having a shared plan time. I would love to work with my team on developing units, rather than only doing cross-curricular lessons that do not flow from one classroom to the next. The chapter really emphasized the importance of the written lesson plan. I do both as a teacher. When I have a lesson on vocabulary or something like that all I need is a few bullets. However, when I am working with the material of a chapter in a book and am not just using the text and its resources, I like to write my plans in more details. I always have a piece of paper in front of me that I use to follow my plans. I also like sticky notes on materials being used as reminders of things I want to say or do and also to write down any ideas that students come up with for future learning.

1 comment:

  1. I wrote on my blog that I really liked the section on the written lesson plans, so I am happy that you also commented on them. I do believe that teachers can get by in a class every once in a while on bullet points, but written lesson plans I believe will always give the teacher the most structured class. I also really like your idea about using the sticky notes to remind yourself about things you want to say, or what students say so you can reference them in the future.

    ReplyDelete